DIY Disaster as resident’s blunder cuts off gas supply
A DIY-er from Stoke has drawn the wrath of all of his neighbour’s after installing a new boiler incorrectly and cutting off the area’s gas supply for days.
Residents in Hanley, Staffordshire have had no gas supply for over 3 days after one of the locals wrongly connected the water pipe from the boiler to a gas pipe, flooding the system and cutting off everyone’s gas supply off within a five-street radius.
Stoke’s The Sentinel are reporting that the National Grid are working around the clock to reconnect the gas supply.
Residents have been given electric heaters and hobs to help them cope with the lack of gas.
This disaster is set to prove costly as the houses involved are set to receive £30-a day compensation for the gas being cut off. When you consider that five streets have been cut off, this could cost thousands of pounds in compensation, not to mention the damage in the home with the wrongly connected boiler.
All of this could be avoided if a professional tradesmen had been called. The lesson from this story is that if you don’t know how to install a boiler, don’t do it – call in someone that does. It would have saved a lot of trouble in Hanley.
Posted on April 15, 2011, in construction news, DIY, Electrical News, Plumbing News, train4tradeskills and tagged Boiler, boiler DIY, construction, Construction and Maintenance, DIY, DIY Disaster, electrical news stoke, Hanley, Materials and Supplies, plumbing news stoke, Stoke, t4ts, train 4 trade skills, train4tradeskills. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.