Train4TradeSkills News: Old boilers increase risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
HVP Magazine reports that the Carbon Monoxide Trends Report found that homeowners with ageing boilers are more likely to be susceptible from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The study was commissioned by the Gas Safety Trust and examines the trend of reportable CO incidents which are linked to natural gas usage in the UK, between 1996 and 2010.
The research found that older gas appliances pose a greater risk of carbon monoxide links, as more than two-thirds of incidents involved older boilers.
The installation of boilers also has something to do with it, as Nigel Dumbrell from the Gas Safety Trust says:
“The involvement of older boilers in reportable CO incidents remains an issue. Older boilers can continue to operate safely for a significant time if serviced and maintained regularly. However, the report suggests that such servicing is not being done or that owners are waiting for them to cease operating before replacing them.”
Mr Dumbrell also offered some advice for homeowners, saying in a statement:
“The effort to reduce and, ideally, eliminate the practice of unregistered gas operatives should be increased, as this would impact positively on the number of reportable CO incidents.”
Obviously older boilers need to be regularly maintained and serviced by a fully trained and registered gas operative, and homeowners need to be made aware of the dangers surrounding old boilers, as well as the safety benefits and energy savings that new boilers would bring.
Posted on September 6, 2011, in construction jobs, construction news, plumbing, plumbing courses, plumbing jobs, Plumbing News, t4ts, train4tradeskills and tagged Boiler, Carbon monoxide, Carbon monoxide poisoning, new boilers, old boilers, Plumber, plumber boiler, plumbing jobs, plumbing news, t4ts, Train4trades, train4tradeskills. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.