Gas Fitter Jailed Over Woman’s Death

 

BBC News reported today that gas fitter, Andrew Hartley, who had botched the installation of a boiler in Lansdow, Bath, which caused the death of 24-year-old woman, has been jailed for three years over her death.

Andrew Hartley was found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence in Bristol Crown Court yesterday. He admitted breaching gas safe regulations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 by failing to secure the boiler flue pipe with screws.

The tragic death of Zoe Anderson, who was overcame by carbon monoxide in the shower room of her father’s home, was result of a ‘rushed’ and ‘botch’ job, the prosecution in Bristol Crown Court concluded.

Miss Anderson died within 30 minutes of being exposed to the carbon monoxide after fumes leaked from the flue pipe connected to the boiler of the house, The Daily Mail reported.

Detective Inspector (DI) Neil Beament, who led the investigation, said that despite the fact Andrew Hartley was a professional tradesman with the relevant qualification, he carried out sub-standard work which led to the death of 24-year-old Zoe Anderson.

DI Beament said: “The verdict and sentence reflects the severity of his failings and sends a clear message to all tradesmen in relation to the duty of care they owe all their customers.

“The case also highlights the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and I would urge all householders to consider the installation of appropriate devices.”- added Mr Beament.

It is a legal requirement for trade professionals who carry out gas work to be registered on the Gas Safe Register. Gas engineers are re-tested on every five years in order to comply with Health and Safety regulations.  They have to provide proof of their technical expertise, including the required qualification and relevant certificate of competence.

In a statement about Mr Hartley’s case the Health and Safety Executive said: “The householder in this case did the right thing – they employed a registered gas engineer who is legally allowed to work on gas appliances.

“However, the engineer failed to apply their competence and expertise, which has led to tragic consequences.

“It is vital that registered gas engineers always apply their knowledge and skills on every gas job they carry out and make sure gas work is left safe for people to use.

“If engineers cut corners they can expect to be held to account for their actions.”

What is your reaction to the tragic incident caused by the poor job of gas fitter Andrew Hartley? Do you think professional standards could be improved in future? How? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below: 

Advertisements

About Train4tradeSkills

Train4TradeSkills offer the only trade training skills courses that combine three great ways to learn, through a unique blend of book based theory, practical workshops and virtual reality PC based training, to help you qualify you as a plumber, electrician or gas engineer. No other learning provider offers our unique way to study, with full tutor support, easy to follow, step by step modules. Once you complete one part of the course and return your work for marking, the next stage of the course automatically follows. It’s as easy as that. It’s fun, it’s easy to follow... and it can be fitted around your existing work and family commitments!

Posted on April 18, 2012, in Gas course training, Government, Heath and Safety, plumbing, plumbing courses, plumbing jobs, Plumbing News, t4ts, train4tradeskills, Train4TradeSkills News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: